Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Buffed and the Beautiful

So I’m a total pedicure princess. Even in the midst of the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression, I somehow manage to justify to myself, my husband, and my checking account that a pedi every two weeks is nothing short of essential. When the stock market tanked last fall and fiscal restraint became the new black, I cut my pedi dates back to once a month. That didn’t last long.

I think it’s the foot massage (7 minutes per leg) that does me in. It’s the only time in a two week span that I make myself relax. That’s right, I set down my iphone, Us Weekly, and hot tea and I do absolutely nothing for 14 fabulous minutes. And I would be remiss if I posted on pedicures and did not give a shout out to, in my opinion, THE best in the business – City Nails in Alexandria, Virginia. I’ve frequented City Nails since I was sixteen and have yet to find a salon that comes close to the pedicure pedestal on which I place City Nails. But as pedicure pressed as I am, I for whatever reason, can’t get down with the manicure.

I get why people like manicures and I have mad respect for those who maintain silk and acrylic nails because they are gorgeous and definitely add a certain something to your look. Furthermore, manicures are seemingly a better investment, as they’re less expensive than pedicures, but always available for the showing. We show our pedis maybe 5 months out of the year and that’s only if you’re a huge fan of flip-flops and peep toes.

I think if I got real psychological about this, I would find that my indifference towards manicures stems from my dismay of chipped nail polish. You know the scene – you’re on your way out for a total night on the town. You’re sporting some hotness and feeling very pleased at how fabulously your new dress fit with your Tori Burch old fav flats. And then, you look down and in a fit of horror you see that your sass-tastic red nail polish has chipped right off your right middle finger. Immediately you feel that your look is shot to hell and you begin planning on how to do left handed gestures all night. Chipped nail polish just unravels me so. Additionally, I think I must have high-chip probability nails because it never fails with my fingers. So I stick with nothing or clear.

But I do love the shape and shine your nails get from a manicure. That’s where this week’s RML product spotlight comes in. Ladies, allow me to introduce Sephora’s 4-Step Buffer. In five miraculous minutes, this little tool leaves your nails looking like you just spent an hour at the salon. Each side of the cube has an express purpose 1) File 2) Buff 3) Polish 4) Shine. No tricks or technique tips needed. You simply move the buffer back in forth, covering the entire surface of your nail, in 1 - 4 order (which is denoted on the cube – thank you Sephora!). And if it can’t get any buffer better, this tool retails for $5 dollars at Sephora. Or you can splurge and the get Colorful Buffers 3 - Pack for $8. So skip the pricey buffing tools they sell at the mall kiosks ($40 – are you kidding me?) and save your manicure money. This buffer is all you need. Polish is purely optional, as the buffer leaves your nails so shiny, it totally looks like you have a coat of clear polish on anyhow. So go ahead, make your way to Sephora – it’s hands down – or in this case “nails” down the best $5 bucks you’ll spend.

Sephora's 4-Step Buffer
$5.00 USD
Available at Sephora stores and online

Sephora's Colorful Buffers 3-Pack
$8.00 USD
Available at Sephora stores and online
Images from www.Sephora.com

As if you needed more convincing...Buffer Reviews

2 comments:

  1. So funny! I didn't realize how timely my reveal of the pedicure cut back was this evening! Truth is, I really cannot take it and will probably be there at lunch time tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! Do it up! I'm headed to the salon for a pedicure today as well :) My two weeks is up. Have an awesome weekend and thanks for reading! SB

    ReplyDelete